When missing a tooth, talking and chewing your food can be difficult and cause frustration. At Stoker Family Dentistry, we do all that we can to help our patients when they are suffering from tooth damage or decay keep their natural smiles. Our natural teeth can be repaired in some cases, but we should extract them to preserve overall tooth health in other cases. If a tooth needs to be removed or is missing, we offer tooth restorations such as dental bridges.
Due for your next routine dental appointment? Please call our office to schedule your and your family’s visit. We look forward to seeing you and helping you maintain a healthy and beautiful smile.
What is a Dental Bridge?
Dental bridges are restorative dental appliances that ” bridge” the gap created by one or more missing teeth. A bridge comprises two crowns for the teeth on either side of the gap – these two anchoring teeth are called abutment teeth – and a false tooth/teeth in between. These false teeth are called pontics and can be made from gold, alloys, porcelain, or a combination of these materials. Natural teeth or implants support dental bridges.
Being supported by either natural teeth or dental implants will provide you with a solid and durable dental bridge. There are differences between what each offer and process entails.
- Natural Tooth Supported: Typically, when you have a dental bridge that is to be supported by an anchor or surrounding natural teeth, it means that your surrounding teeth need to be healthy and durable. We use this type when the missing tooth or teeth has a natural solid tooth on both sides.
- Dental Implant Supported: When using dental implants to secure a dental bridge into your smile, it is necessary to have an implant placement procedure. Typically two dental implants will be surgically placed into your jawbone in the areas where the bridge needs to have excellent support. After healing, we will secure the customized dental bridge onto the implants. Many patients choose a dental implant-supported bridge because it is a permanent tooth replacement.
Why Choose a Dental Bridge?
Bridges are two full tooth replacement options available here at Stoker Family Dentistry. Bridges are the option that we sometimes recommend to patients needing to replace or restore one or more teeth in a row. Typical dental implants with a single crown restoration are more commonly used to replace a single tooth.
There are many benefits of choosing a dental bridge, including:
- Each bridge restoration is created using the best and strongest material available. We choose high-quality materials to create strong and functional teeth.
- Artificial teeth and crowns are customized to fit into your mouth and match surrounding teeth in shade, size, and shape. We take impressions and photos of your teeth to ensure that each tooth created matches your smile perfectly.
- Both natural tooth-supported and dental implant-supported bridges will provide you with a permanent smile restoration. If taken care of and cleaned correctly, bridges will last you a lifetime with little to no maintenance.
We recommend a dental bridge as one of many great dental restoration options for patients with a missing tooth. Dental bridges provide excellent and durable tooth restoration.
Dental Bridges for Children?
We suggest speaking with Dr. Richard Stoker to determine the best option for children. We might recommend tooth replacement retainers for children’s smiles until the mouth and teeth are fully grown. And, we might recommend dental implants for older patients.
Call Us to Look Into Dental Bridges in Idaho Falls
If you would like more information regarding dental bridges or obtaining one, please don’t hesitate to give our office a call. We can help you choose the best option for you and your situation.